I don't appreciate New Years. One, I've never transitioned out of the school schedule, so my true New Years is when school starts again in August. Dec 31st/Jan 1st is just another day in my winter break.
I understand its an excuse to get together and hangout but the extent to which people go to to celebrate it always surprises me. The Times square chaos. The celebrities that embarrass themselves on TV as they celebrate an inconsequential passing of time.
Now, don't get me wrong, there are positives to the New year. People often turn a new leaf, as they begin anew. A resolution, a resolve... a commitment to change. It is a time of reflection, growth and goal setting. Yet experience shows me that very little of that leads to any actual change. Its as superficial as the holiday.
I'm realizing how negative of a post this is becoming. And I didn't intend to bash anyone's parade, i guess as of late I tend to have a lot of bad memories of New Years.
Today was a good day. Spent time in prayer and fellowship. Shared a meal with friends.
Someone this past week was trying to convince someone to do something repeating "Its better to give than to receive." I'm thankful to go for the fortuitous opportunity to give today. I was having an average day, but afterwards I was beaming.
There is still much I long for. Things that are good and just that I desire but do not have. Things I need to strive for and work for... and with those, many a things I must amend. If you have found your way all the way here, you must either be really really bored or you'd be willing to take another step for me.
Please pray. Pray that I'll have a greater faith in God and in people. Pray that I will grow in love for God and for people. Pray that i may remember the sweetness of generosity and to remember to give freely whenever possible, be it time, money or energy.
Its always a rollercoaster of emotions, but I guess in that I can learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment