Friday, November 23, 2012
Battle of Ages...
Black Friday spent with the youth of my church. Average age... most like High school.
Had a good time and in the midst of this I realized something that made me think. Amongst the sea of high school and college students I was in my element. Not that it was where I prefer to spend my days --- cause who would want that? =P. But I was comfortable. At any moment amongst that group, I could continue the conversation or begin a new one.
Another way of putting it, I was in... on what was in. I had an understanding of their general psyche... or perhaps I had enough experience and information to keep the occupied in the conversation.
I then questioned whether I was equally as efficient with my peers and I quickly knew the answer to that question. No. Definitely not.
Another disturbing thing was that I also did not share an interested in what is often discussed amongst my peers.
Conversation comparision:
High school/College:
Future plans --- college apps, picking classes, homework and assignments, job search. tests and applications
Dating. Boys. Girls. etc.
Hobbies. Video games, sports. School, teachers, classmates. Family. Daily life.
Postgrad: Frankly, I can't say I know exactly what to put here. Topics that I find difficult to follow...
They tend to follow two lines:
--- stresses of life/responsibilities/things to complain about.
work, family, dating
--- superficial things to distract
video games? sports. dating ha. food.
The lists seem similar... so what the different response? I am far less informed about things with my peers. I have no clue what office work is life. Office politics, the stresses of a 8-5 job. 52 work weeks a year. Raising a family. Even a complicated dating relationship... managing bills, family issues, career changes, job hunts. All I'm fairly ignorant of.
My point in all this? I'm not sure. Except I'm pleased that I can connect with the youth, but disturbed that this is not the same with my peers.
In terms of the superficial conversation --- its about the same for both groups. Yet, I'm perfectly happy talking games and sports with the youth but it bothers me to have these same conversations with my peers. Is it a double standard?
If a superficial conversation with youth turns to something of more substance I am impressed.
If a conversation with a peer ends up in the superficial I am disappointed, often expecting/hoping it to be of something of more substance. Then again I am guilty of this myself. But is it right for me to expect more?
Where's that leave me... I'm not sure. I know one thought of mine was that I feel more comfortable amongst the youth. I think I let go more and be myself... whereas I hesitate with peers. I need to be myself in all situations. I think I need a better understanding of what my peers go through on a daily basis... I think due to my upbringing and choice of career, I don't have as much in common.
This thought has no end, just reflecting... any thoughts from outside my brain?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment