Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Relationships.

Catchy title huh?

Was thinking more on the lines of friendships... but I've been hearing quite a few friends talking about their experiences with long distance relationships and the struggles and trials of it.  I don't tend to hear many positive things about it.  I'm sure there are... they probably just keep that to themselves or the sad facts of distance tend to pop out in their minds ha.

I was just reminded today how distance, especially in today's technology, does not and need not affect the quality of our friendships.  I have had friendships strengthen by distance.  Sometimes the distance or the busyness of life helps us appreciate what we once took for granted.

Wise words from a friend we haven't spoken to in a while.  The random gesture that we once took for granted but now so joyfully receive.  Distance may be painful at times, but it helps us appreciate it more to.

In the same light, proximity does not always lend itself to growth, productivity or healthiness.

Also there are friendships that require constant upkeep or they dwindle... while others seem to exist outside of time.  Time and distance keep the friendship at a pause only to be resumed once more.

Common denominator? (yay math term =D)  None of all that matters.  In the end its the friendship, the mutuality of it.  Its an investment of both sides.  Mutual love.  Similar or at least understood expectations.

That experience where words are not needed, no history needs to be recapped and nothing needs to be explained.  Things just continue where it left off as if there was no gap in between the last meeting.

Are these common?  Probably not.  I hope not, or else we'd take them for granted too. And so we treasure them.  And treasure them we should.  The rare, the priceless.

Prov 18:24 "A man of many companions may come to ruin,
    but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

No comments:

Post a Comment