Saturday, March 16, 2013

Day 4 - Two sides. Friday 3/15

What a contrast in days.  Started off a pretty horrible day, but it quickly turned for the better.

Encouraged by my students.  Tennis.  And watched an amazing performance of Rent at my school.

Rent - A relatively simple story.  No major plot twists. (No spoilers).  Love and heartache, drama.  Fear and death.  Family and loneliness.

They were all learning to put life in the proper perspective.  Loneliness and fear is a choice.  Choose love and risk heartache.

I was talking to another participant of the 40 day challenge and they commented on the difficulty of the daily commitment and I totally agreed.  Though it left me thinking about why such a commitment is difficult.

Its true that most people tend to pick 3 challenges they will be difficult for them.  But its not that it can't be done... since we are able to easily do it for one day.  But to do it the next day, and the next... that's where the challenge is.

Its a matter of motivation and priority.  Do we do it out of obligation?  "I'm supposed to do it, so I'll force myself to do it today."  Is it one of those disciplines we must learn... like exercising or eating your vegetables?    In any case, it made me reflect on our daily commitments to God.  Our need to daily strive for Holiness.  To seek Him daily.  To be a person of salt and light daily.  Is it not true how often we struggle in ...  do we even struggle?  Is it not true how often we Don't keep it up daily?  Why?  Cause its too much work?  Or are we doing it out of obligation rather than ...

In Tim Keller's book/study guide Gospel in Life he points out the difference between religion and the gospel.

Religion - I'm obey therefore I'm accepted
Gospel - I'm accepted therefore I obey.
Religion - Motivated by fear and insecurity
Gospel - Motivation founded in grateful joy

Is living for God daily something we even try to do?  If it is, I'd presume it be much harder than a 40 day challenge.  What's our motivation?  Personal growth?  Discipline?  Obligation?  Fear?  Love?  Love for whom?

Why do we do the things that we do each day?  Rent showed everyone's desire to love and be loved.  It showed their fears and insecurities in finding that love -- in the end their hunger and desire won out.  We know a love that does not waver or fade... what is our response?

No comments:

Post a Comment